top of page
gran-chaco-scaled.jpg

IN THE GRAN CHACO

Photo: Matías Rebak

Project Type 

Environmental sustainability

Date

2024

Our first project, scheduled for 2024, focuses on the restoration and regeneration of ecosystems in El Gran Chaco, one of the most deforested regions in the world. This initiative will play a crucial role in combating deforestation, promoting biodiversity, economic sustainability and soil carbon sequestration. Ultimately, it leads to comprehensive and regenerative land management.

Diseño sin título (1)_edited.jpg

Exploring the Gran Chaco

Nestled between the Paraguay River to the east and the formidable Andes to the west lies Gran Chaco.

 

Spanning around 1.000.000 square kilometers across parts of Argentina (55%), Bolivia (25%), Paraguay (20%) and Brazil (5%). 

Despite its status as one of the continent's hottest regions, with temperatures often surpassing +50°C. 

granja + vaca (4).png

The Gran Chaco boasts over 50 unique ecosystems, each defined by distinct vegetation and climate patterns, fostering remarkable local biodiversity.

However, it's under threat from expanding agriculture and livestock, hunting, and climate change, demanding urgent action.

Adapted from " El Chaco, un territorio maravilloso" by USAID and Alianza, 2021"Revista alianza para el desarrollo sostenible

What is happening in the Gran Chaco?

The Gran Chaco region, the second-largest forest in South America, is currently experiencing a severe deforestation crisis. Every month, an area exceeding 350 square kilometers, equivalent to 21,000 football fields, is lost, and it is projected that millions more hectares of native vegetation will disappear by 2030.

The primary drivers of deforestation in the Gran Chaco are associated with the livestock industry, which supplies the meat, dairy, and leather sectors.

Cattle truck in the Paraguayn Chaco.jpg
Cattle trucks in the Paraguayan Chaco destined for slaughterhouses, 2019 © Earthsight
swatt_paraguay-0083-1-1280x747_edited.jp

The weak environmental legislation, inadequate enforcement, and the absence of comprehensive legal forest protections, coupled with the lack of a traceability infrastructure for the livestock sector in the country, pose significant challenges to conservation efforts in the region.

Paraguay, in particular, is witnessing one of the highest deforestation rates globally, primarily due to the rapid expansion of cattle ranching, especially in the western Chaco region.

Illegal deforestation at a ranch inside PNCAT, 2019 © Earthsight

What will Orbolo do?

We are embarking on the construction of a Lina Farm that will become one of the most regeneratively managed farms with a fundamental commitment to rebuild the fragile ecosystem of the area.

Orbolo will acquire approximately 100,000 hectares of land, 78% of which will be dedicated to the restoration of the native Chaco forest. The remaining 22% will house our Lina Farm.

This farm will not only be dedicated to the production of high quality beef, but will also play a key role in revitalizing the land and combating deforestation in the region.

The implementation of regenerative livestock practices at Granja Lina will be a key strategy in the fight against deforestation in the area and contributing to the well-being of the planet.

Our Strategy

Lins Farm 
22.000 Hectares

Objective

  • Build soil

  • Create sustainable meat roduction

How we will do it

  • Regenerative livestock    management

Stages

  • Initial Soil and Environmental Assessment

  • Implementation of Regenerative Livestock Practices

  • Development of Sustainable Livestock Farming

THE GRAN CHACO PROJECT
100.000 hectares

Native Forest
78.000 Hectares

Objective

  • Conservation and regeneration of native forests

How we will do it

Ecosystems

Regeneration

Green Line Branch Organic Nature Logo (4).png
  • Reforestation

  • Promotion of Sustainable      Economic Activities in the Forest

Stages

  • Map & Analyze: Understanding the current ecosystem

  • Support through Value Creation: Developing sustainable economic strategies.

  • Restoring the ecosystem

bottom of page